Wednesday 29 January 2014

A post about *not* being at UKGovcamp

I wasn't at UKGovcamp 2014 on Saturday. I should have been. I should have been talking about 'digital stuff in government'. As a 'Campmaker', I should have been helping on the registration desk. And in the cloakroom. And live blogging and timekeeping. And doing other helpful stuff.

But I wasn't. Cus I wusnae well.


You buy this card from here
Funny thing is, I'm not sad. I was too ill on the day to really care, but I thought that once I felt better I would be gutted to have missed it. I wasn't. I thought it would upset me to read all the tweets and blogs and stuff after the event. It didn't.

So what's that all about? I'm not sure to be honest. It probably has something to do with the way I'm feeling about the d word at the moment (see previous blog post). I decided a while back that I didn't want to organise any more Scotgovcamps. I've even ditched Highteacamp. But I hadn't realised that I'd fallen out of love with govcamps completely.

Let's be clear. It's not the format. No way, Jose. It's not the people. Nope. I still think unconferences are brilliant. As are the folk that go to them and the folk that organise them (they are especially brilliant!). I think it's more about not feeling that I have anything to contribute to the 'digital in government' discussion anymore. And, to be brutally honest, a lack of interest in much of that discussion.

Anyway, I just wish I'd realised that this was how I felt before I booked my ticket for UKGovcamp. Then somebody more deserving could have gone along. I feel bad about that. All I can say is, if I hadn't been unwell, I'd have been there, blogging and tweeting and helping my little socks off. Athough, I guess my heart may not have been in it.

No comments: